My 1st Song Dramaturgy

The objective of a juicy debate over some very good soup (you guessed the chef behind that delight) was: is it possible to make a cover of an ultimate pop song, AND do it the way it is clear who did it? If you are otherwise not a pop singer, that is.

KATA was the tailor to sew a song's new dress. Elvis Presley was the chosen original. Due to a coincidence I learned that Teddy Bear was 1st recorded almost exactly 55 years ago. Not 42, mind you, but hey, that'll do, that'll do. :D There you go.

And then - it was mine to do the story. This is the original http://youtu.be/89MihWd6zKk, and these are its lyrics:

Baby let me be, Your lovin teddy bear, Put a chain around my neck, And lead me anywhere, Oh let me be, Your teddy bear.

I don't wanna be a tiger Cause tigers play too rough I don't wanna be a lion Cause lions aint the kind You love enough.

Baby let me be, around you every night, Run your fingers through my hair, And cuddle me real tight, Oh let me be your Teddy Bear.

I don't wanna be a tiger Cause tigers play too rough I don't wanna be a lion Cause lions ain't the kind You love enough.


I knew in order to meet my objective, I need to put the story from he lyrics into the voice. And avoid the ZOO metaphors. Khm. So, imagine this: a club after a gig. Most of the people left already, it's like 3am. The air is smoky, the lights are dim, the bartender is washing the last glasses, smoking a joint and quietly humming to himself, content. There is a person with a broom, and a couple making out by the back wall. And then, there is the artist with her guitar, relaxing after the show. It is quiet, only the buzz of the machines and the whipping of the floor is heard.

And then, it slowly starts. It begins as just some accords arbitrary tossed into space. At first, the vocal seems as if by chance, to herself only. And only then the songs becomes engaging, slowly it spills and fills the air of the club.

In the song, to meet this outlay, it had to be its story first, and then the resolution in the chorus, so the structure was changed from the original to first whole story (1 stanza + 2 stanza) and then chorus (on repeat) with resolution. The rhythm was slowed down accordingly, and the way it's sang was adapted. And then, some magic was added - there you go. If you have a voice like KATAs living next door, that is. And a Fender.

I was always a big believer in dramaturgy. Of every day life, not only of theatre. But then, when I think about it - what's the difference? ;-)

Delighted, here's the result.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar